Welcome to the Mariposa Museum and History Center

 Uncategorized  Comments Off on Welcome to the Mariposa Museum and History Center
Feb 202011
 

The Town of Mariposa – A Short History by Tom Phillips

The Mariposa area was said to have been named by a Spanish Priest under the direction of explorer, Gabriel Moraga. Moraga was the leader of a 25-man troop that explored central California in 1806. When he and his expedition came upon a creek laced with thousands of yellow butterflies, they named the area “Mariposa” which was the Spanish word for butterfly.

The Mariposa town site area was first the home to the Southern Miwok Indians. They have lived in the Central California area for untold generations before any Europeans arrived in the Americas.

Juan B. Alvarado Mexican governor of California (1836-1842,) was awarded the “Las Mariposas Grant”. The “Las Mariposas Grant” was a “floating” grant which meant that it had no fixed boundaries. It was ten square leagues (approx. 44,400 acres) located generally on the Mariposa Creek between the San Joaquin, Chowchilla, and Merced rivers and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

To Read More…

 Posted by at 11:29 am

New Printing Press Aquisition

 Uncategorized  Comments Off on New Printing Press Aquisition
May 232016
 

Mariposa Museum and History Center is proud to announce the acquisition of a new “old” printing press to enhance our early Mariposa Gazette Newspaper display.

The printing press was donated to museum by R.D.Tucker who is the Publisher of the Mariposa Gazette which was first published in 1854.

(click image to enlarge)

Pictured here is the printing press at the former Mariposa Gazette site with Gary Williams (on left) from the Mariposa Museum and John Ward from Sierra Propane.


(click image to enlarge)

This picture is the press being lifted from its former location


(click image to enlarge)

The printing press is now on the museum grounds awaiting the final move to its permanent location. Pictured from left to right are John Ward and Shawn Coggins from Sierra Propane who graciously donated their time and truck for the move, along with Ron Loya President of the Museum Board accepting the press.

 Posted by at 9:48 am