Counts Residence

 


Counts Residence

As his personal residence Augustus F. Shriver built this house in the early 1870′s it became the home of two generations of successive County Treasurers, George and Samuel Counts. Earlier in 1854 Mr. Shriver also built the Mariposa County Courthouse which is still in continuous use today. The House has three fireplaces whose chimneys form a triangle, becoming one at the height of its 10 foot ceilings. Being of local origins the bricks are softer than most commercial bricks and contain lime and stamp mill tailing (gold). The bricks were kilned during the Civil War on Highway 49N. The interior walls are lath & plaster containing human hair for added strength (8 pounds of hair/100 pounds of plaster). It is furnished with period furniture, utensils and clothing.



Counts Residence Kitchen


The Modern Kitchen circa 1900

This is a authentic static exhibit and may be added to your guided tour schedule – Contact museum tour coordinator for details.

05-12-2011

 Posted by at 8:46 am